Thursday, December 2, 2010

Christians: Two faced by default??

Ok, I want to start off by saying that in this blog, I am more or less just exploring my own thoughts, questions and ideas on this topic. Everything written isn't necessarily my exact view on everything. Just so we're clear :)

As a Christian, we are called to be Christ like. What does that look like? Is it to attempt to live a flawless life?? Or is it coming to the realization that others truly are more important than ourselves, and to forfeit any hatred, frustration or judgement and show love? Im definitely voting on the second right now.
Obviously we're always going to meet/know people that rub us the wrong way.. But we're called to love them just the same. I'm not saying make a list of all of your enemies and invite them all out for coffee, but at the same time, maybe truly examine your reasons of why you don't like a person.
I know there are people that don't like me, and in some cases, I know why they don't haha. But for the most part, I don't really care, or need to know, or brown-nose my way into acceptance. I used to be like that in elementary school, highschool, and even up to a few years ago.

Back to my main question: Are Christians two faced by default? If we're showing love to people we don't like, is that being "fake"? Is there a line between the two?
To me, two faced is pretending to like someone, ex: the person you go for coffee with once a week, or less, but afterwards, all you can do is complain and diss everything about their being.
There are people that I don't care for, and I am probably not going to ask them out to dinner, or a coffee date, because that's setting myself up to be two faced. BUT, if someone that rubs me the wrong way asked me out to coffee, and were serious, I most likely would go. I hope this is making sense. I have just been thinking about this for a while, and had to get it out there. Feel free to comment your ideas, or if ur my friend on FB just send me a line and let me know :)

2 comments:

  1. wow, never thought about two-faced by default..... it's an interesting concept. Not even sure where to start on a comment, other than saying I think that's pretty much accurate.

    Yet I think if we are being truly "Christ-like" in seeing the other people (I'm going to change your words a bit here) with as much value as ourselves (I hope we are all seeing our value as high, yet acknowledge that we can't always do that so maybe I should say have as much value as Christ has put on them by dying for their sins), then I pray that God would change our hearts towards that person. Again I like your question of why do we feel that way about that person? I would venture to guess that most of the time it is an issue within ourselves, and not that person in particular that is causing the feelings. I would think then that it is ourselves we must examine and reflect on and then less dislike would be put on the other person.

    Not sure if this is making sense so I'm going to try and sum it up.

    If we spend more time thinking about how Christ values that person and less time on how/why we dislike that person then our viewpoints on that person should/will change.

    But I don't think this means we must be best-friends with everyone, but it does mean that we must treat people with the love that Christ treats them, which could mean a coffee, or it could mean simply being civil and wishing well for a person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...it seems to me that this thought is a reflection of a historical nature,"truly in the eyes of God we are all equal, but sheerly i am human...thus human equality cannot exsist in my time"(i'll come back to this thought...)
    when i think of being Christ like i often forgot about those whom he chose and hung out with. the disciples, im willing to bet a few bucks on, probably didn't have alot of common interests. but they did have something in common... the interest of Christ. Christ invested himself n put the interest of others ahead of his own gain.
    with this in mind, i think some times social status and human inequality become more and takes its form by the inequality of human interest.
    i mean the interests of others are not our priority simply b/c they are not in tune or seem to clash with our own. and who would want to invest in that if there is nothing to gain? sure they might deny you 3 times before the morning but look at the "interest" that came out of em.
    Christ knew what he was investing in... and i think that investment was you!... it was for all equality of human interest.
    ...but like i said before "sheerly i am human.." but regardless i shall be more christ like ever!
    no more two-face for me... you shall call me "one-face"

    i think your onto something here cass... :)

    ReplyDelete

Bambi on Ice

We’ve made it through another year! For some of you, 2019 might have been the hardest year and for others it may have been the best year yet...